About Me

My photo
Hi There! As a college graduate in biology from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo and a UCSC Masters in Education student, I'm ecstatic about science and teaching. If you're a high school student within Santa Cruz County that needs help with understanding biology I'd love to help out. Contact me so we can begin earning the grade you deserve! You can also check out my tutor website at http://santacruzca.universitytutor.com/tutors/60083 to see my reviews and times available.

1/5/11

Carbon Fixation

What's one of the main concepts of photosynthesis? Carbon fixation!


Carbon fixation is when atmospheric Carbon in the form of Carbon Dioxide is converted into the tissues of plants in the form of glucose (through photosynthesis) and stored as either starch or cellulose. Carbon fixation "fixes" atmospheric Carbon into a more useful biological form.


If it weren't for photosynthesis and Carbon fixation, a lot of the Carbon on earth would be stuck in the atmosphere!


Now here's a question for ya...


If plants take in Carbon in the form of Carbon Dioxide and convert it to glucose, how is Carbon then released back out into the atmosphere??  



No comments:

Post a Comment